Inspire

"Start with what they know. Build with what they have. The best of leaders when the job is done, when the task is accomplished, the people will say we have done it ourselves." Lao Tzu

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Making changes to what you love

Hello to everyone. I am back and ready to share my world and my thoughts. Yesterdays was crazy with school for 8 hours, coming home to exercise, and then cook and spend time with the family. You can say it was like a circus. But I am alive and feeling good about my mini accomplishment of completing my first week on the running plan.

Today I had a road block. I am thrilled and happy about having to go to the second hole on my belt and the strength I feel when I hit the pavement but then I thought about the foods I eat. Last week I did pretty well with the eating. I was reducing the amount of food on my plate and I had stop the over munching I was doing with the snacks. But in order for me to move forward and not begin to hate the workout and life change I am doing, I have to find a way to take the food I love so much and make them healthy. So here lays my problem. I am a meat and potatoes kind of girl. This country was built on it and I love it very much. I don't want to sacrifice the foods that I eat because I have tried all kinds of "diets” where you have to eat this and not that or don't eat it at all. So I decided to challenge myself. Take the foods I love and make them healthier.

I love beef stroganoff so I decided to give this meal a complete makeover. Hold on to your seats as I tell you what I did to change this meal. First let's start with the ingredients:

Healthy Harvest whole wheat noodles
1 can of 98% fat free cream of mushroom
1 can of 1% milk (used the cream of mushroom can)
1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 cup of fat free sour cream

Cook noodles as instructed. Well noodles are cooking, cook ground turkey in skillet until fully cooked. Drain liquid from the meat and by this time the noodles should be done. Drain noodles and put in the skillet with the meat. Pour cream of mushroom over the noodles and meat and then pour the can of milk over it. Start by folding the mixture inward to evenly coat the noodles and meat with the cream of mushroom and milk. After you have evenly coated the noodle mix, add the sour cream. You are going to fold the noodle mixture inward so that everything is coated with the sour cream. Once completed, serve with a side of salad.

So that is what I had for dinner tonight. I reduced the calories of the milk, sour cream, ground turkey, and cream of mushroom. I substituted the yellow noodles for whole grain. You can call it my poor man’s meal but I find a way to eat what I love, not spend a lot of money on beef tips and feel good about using healthier ingredients in my meal. My family really enjoyed it and didn't notice the change. So this is the challenge I am giving you. Find a way to take your favorite foods healthier. I also would love for someone to give me a recipe that is fattening so I can see if I can make it healthier. So send me your favorite food and let me see what I can do with it. 

Tomorrow starts my week 2 of the running plan and I have my shoes, IPod, stroller for my little one, and clothes all ready to go. Hope to hear from you on how you are going to live healthier for you and your family. Let’s see you Nourish your life, let’s get Linda. :-*

No comments:

Post a Comment